I am getting a little bit tired of this project. May is a long month! You are probably getting fed up of pictures of my daily grins. I am slightly running out of outfits. And I am absolutely running out of willing photographers. But I am getting more insights as a result.
So let’s have a look at the pictures.
On Friday I took the day off work and went to inspect the building works on our holiday home project and then went on to my Mother’s’ for the night. Sunday was back home for some pattern cutting and looking after the babies.
Reflections to date:
- Not much in the way of neutrals. Many other MMMay16 people seem to wear a lot of black and charcoal.
- Very few pairs of trousers, and not many dresses either – I am a skirts person
- Probably more bottoms than tops. Again many others are makers of tops. I generally prefer to wear a RTW stretchy T shirt
- My colour palette is fairly restricted (cool – bright – light) but this means that the wardrobe overall has a harmonious look. With it being a separates wardrobe most things will go with other things.
- I have more summer outfits than I will have a chance to wear, especially high summer wear such as lightweight, sleeveless dresses. I keep these items on a top shelf and take them on holiday with me, but they will only be worn once or twice year.
- I wasn’t tempted to wear anything twice, although IRL I would probably repeat an item once or twice a month
- I got out a few things which had been set aside, specifically the grey draped skirt. I have another nicer grey skirt but I thought I had already worn it (but I remembered wrong)
- I found a few items that needed mending, altering or fixing. I am embarrassed about this. For example I was going to wear this nice pink dress which I love, but it itches (silk underlining) so I took it off. If I line it I will enjoy wearing it. So I have put the clothes that need more work/mending in a big bag and I aim to tackle them. However I prefer making new things on the whole so I don’t know how I will get on.
- In winter I wear a jacket (and coat) most days. In summer a cardigan or light jacket is enough. I don’t have Me Made cardigans or light weight top layers
- I wear lots of tight, stretchy T shirts as a base layer. I have never made a T shirt.
Already I am aware of what sort of things I should be making in future
- Trousers suitable for work, possibly with matching jacket. However I don’t really have the best figure for trousers, especially the tailored type. I don’t like unlined wool on my legs, and I have yet to perfect the fit.
- Long sleeved, round necked T shirts. However I find the RTW ones are very cheap, come in great colours and fit superbly because of the lycra/cotton fabric. I would need a more interesting pattern or fabric to make it worth my while
- Are there any other sort of useful base layer tops other than shirts? Maybe I need a few shirts. I have made one or two but I prefer RTW actually.
- Some more neutrals would be useful – a light grey suit, and maybe a beige one perhaps. A very dark brown or a light navy?
- Are there any other colours I should try? I like yellow – lemon and primary yellow, not mustard. I like the blue-greens, blues and bluish pinks. Purple. I don’t wear much red, funnily enough, as it is a good colour for me. I always worry it is a bit too orangey a colour I dislike on me. There are also some nice, cool (bluish) browns out there that could add some depth to the wardrobe.
- Finally something I could wear instead of a colourful cashmere cardigan. Actually I fancy a few more in beautiful colours but they are very expensive. So what might be a good substitute for an outer layer for summer use?