You may remember the 6Nap challenge launched by Sew2Pro. A dozen or so seamstresses from all over the world – America, Canada, France, London and Birmingham are committed to making a version by early next month. I have already had a think about this, but due to my recent holiday I hadn’t got very far.
Making a pattern
The front has five asymmetric sections; basically we have an adapted princess line top. But those style lines are quite challenging. The princess line starts in two different places. On the left it comes into the mid arm hole – on the right it starts much higher up. On the back I realise that the Six Nap dress has a CB zip. I have, instead, created three asymmetric shapes, again following a princess line shape. I am not sure if I want a side zip, or if I should separate the bodice at CB, creating four sections at the back. I tried to get the pattern cutting very accurate as alterations will be quite challenging without changing the essential style lines of the bodice. I found it quite a complicated challenge.
Next I cut out the 8 bodice pieces putting seam allowances on every edge apart from the hem. I then pinned the toile together and had a good look at how it worked on Camilla. It made me think it might be nice to exaggerate the seams by sewing them on the outside, or using piping. It is quite hard to see. This version is not even stitched.
Making the toile
As it looked OK I stitched up the toile and inserted a temporary side zip (just for trying on at this stage).
It fits reasonably well I want to take a tiny bit out at the underbust and also slim down one side of central panel. The back needs a little taking out of the centre panel too as you can see in the last picture – there is some fullness in the back neck. Also the armholes have 1.5cm seam allowance on them and the top will look better when these are finished. I added a little bit of width to the hip area to create a little stand-away peplum that would go over the skirt if I produce this garment as a two piece. This isn’t quite right in the waist area. I will have to have a think about this, and welcome your views. But overall I feel confident now that I can meet Marianna’s 14 July deadline.
Fabric and materials
I have bought some cotton muslin (as suggested by Marianna) as it is comfortable, translucent and inexpensive (I got ten metres). I am thinking of using my white screen printed cotton lawn, although it is too fine for the job. It would need underling/lining with a more substantial cloth. At the same time I am not sure this dress should be white so I will have a look at what I have in my cupboard – I am thinking purple at the moment.
I now need to address the skirt -either as part of the dress, or as a separate skirt.
I nipped out to Simply Fabrics in my lunch hour in the hope of finding the perfect fabric. Unfortunately not. But as I chatted to Leo another customer recognised me from the blog! What a surprise. So I am just saying Hello to Jo – I hope you make something lovely with that deep grey linen. Do let me know how you get on.