When we last had a look at the coat I was battling with the pockets. Or rather the pocket flaps. After some trial and error and advice from others I cracked leather edging and leather button holes.
Since then I have;
- Remade the pockets with the new edging approach
- Made them smaller and squarer
- Made the leather button holes
- Made the lined back flap on the back of the coat
- Attached the back, sides and front of the coat
- Hemmed the coat
- Made the undercollar and pad stitched it (one of my favourite jobs. It didn’t really need it, but I couldn’t resist)
- Made up the facings
- Attached the upper collar to the facings and faced the coat – wrong sides together
- Bound the front edges in leather finding a way to cope with the break so the leather looked good from the front
- Continued to add leather edging to the collar
- Stitched down the facings at the front and neck edges
- Prepared the sleeves (elbow dart, seams and hems) and eased in nicely
- Decided on the lining – I had a nice mauve crepe silk i bought for the blouse. I have now made up the blouse in a deeper purple silk so I could use the silk for the lining. It’s very nice quality – drapey, luxurious and a good colour match.
- Prepared the lining and lined the body of the coat, attaching the hem with swing joins
There is still a fair amount to do.
- Take up the sleeves which are an inch too long (as I suspected)
- Make up and insert the sleeve linings
- Apply leather binding to the hem of the coat and sleeves
- Make the small half belt for the back and bind and attatch at the back of the coat
- Complete button holes by cutting and sewing the facings
- Stitch on the six buttons
I am getting a little bit tired of this project and I am keen to get on the remaining three garments
A tailored dress for my blue set
A patterned skirt and patterned blouse as my combo.
I also may still make a light mauve silk blouse for this set, and I have to resolve my pink evening dress but what I have will do. So a minimum of three more garments to go, and up to five left to finish by the end of April. If I can complete the coat by next Saturday I am still OK on timing but the deadline is getting close.