For my SWAP outfit I identified some nice light mauve silk to use for the McCalls 7938 simple shell top.
In the meantime I attended my draping class and, as I had finished the peplum top, I draped a blouse, flared from the yoke, using very lightweight silky calico. The front was effectively a full circle, with a half circle at the back from a deeper yoke. I then made up the blouse in some deep purple silk that reminded me of the purple sweet peas in my inspiration photograph. But it went horribly wrong – partly because the fabric was inappropriate for the job – far too heavy to achieve the very delicate look I had planned (chiffon or lightweight habotai would have worked better).
A more serious problem revealed itself when I tried it on. It just didn’t”flatter”; my shaped figure needs waist definition. I decided to take it to the charity shop or throw it out.
Having spent quite a lot of time on this item, I hovered over the dustbin. Inspired by Mrs Mole’s recent magical transformation of a “wadder” into a cute girl’s skirt I wondered if I could unpick the top and reuse the fabric. I decided to toile the McCalls 7938 Courreges shell top, and found that the pattern easily fitted into all that material.
Once the Courreges blouse was finished I played around with my artificial sweet peas on the front. I cut each flower head from the stalk and removed the plastic struts. To put the colours of the design together I used the 1-3-5 flower arranging principle, and placed the flowers across the front, trying as much as possible to attach them to interfaced parts. I stitched them from behind, making sure they stood proud and lifelike, rather than completely anchored.
This week I bought a pair of trousers from Marks and Spencer (20% off) in a new shape for me – I didn’t think I would ever wear pleated trousers. But I did. With my new blouse.
The sun is shining in London – all’s well that ends well.