I have decided to change the name of my blog from “Fit and Flare” to “Fabrickated”.
The main reason is that having two names can be confusing.
I called the blog Fit and Flare to try to get across my commitment to Fit -which is very important to me in terms of designing and making clothes. One of my favourite blogs is Fit for a Queen – and I love Mrs Mole because fit is everything to her too. And this includes the concept of Flair (OK it’s a pun) – I want to fit in (at work, and in a social situation) but I also want to have flair – style as well as substance. So the title of Fit and Flare – which is a style of dress that fits the upper body and flares out in the skirt – appealed (and still does) to me. But Fabrickated is the stronger idea as it includes my name (Kate D[avies]) as well Fabric – another obsession – getting the right fabric is as important as getting the right fit.
In the end I have decided to let the Fit and Flare go.
As I will be renaming the blog I decided I would like a logo of my own. I therefore commissioned my friend Rachel to do it for me.
I thought you might be interested to see how she created the my logo.
She did some sketches featuring sewing paraphernalia.
I loved the sketches! Rachel does make clothes and knows about sewing. So her ideas were very creative and exciting. I gravitated towards the most simple – the zigzagged name tape, and the pinked patchwork pieces idea (Rachel, who designed these on the train home) apologised for missing out the K in the patchwork logo (top left).
We settled on the patchwork idea, and she asked for some colour schemes that I liked. This is a difficult question as there are endless possibilities! I initially chose colour schemes that were strong and authoritive that would work for men as well as women. These were red/navy/turquoise/white; navy, dark brown, forest green and white; and Rachel developed the pieces of cloth idea with a range of colour versions. Rachel split up the colour scheme to spell out how I usually refer to the name of my blog. “Fabric – then Kate D”. I didn’t feel this worked as well. Always an issue when you have a real word spelt “wrong”. Isn’t the logo on what looks like linen or canvas interfacing cool?
I liked the strong deep colours but I wanted a logo I loved. So I proposed a new colour scheme – brighter colours that I actually enjoy wearing – pink, blue, turquoise, yellow. I knew this would produce a prettier, feminine logo and wanted to see how I felt about it. Rachel came back with these these logos. I much preferred the white writing rather than the black and preferred the brighter, as opposed to the pastel look.
Finally Rachel substituted the yellow which I always find a bit unsatisfactory in logos like this. Although I like yellow (and love it with white) it never quite holds its own against the other colours. Therefore I suggested more of a blue-grey neutral instead. And we came to this – the bottom one is the one I liked the best. Obviously once committed to a logo it is relatively easy to change the colour, and this one also works well in black and white (as shades of grey).