You have already seen the skirt-on-a-camisole. Today I introduce -The Overblouse. The idea of this overblouse is to fit over the camisole and complement the skirt.
In line with my charcoal/magenta/turquoise colour scheme I bought two metres of emerald-green wool crepe from Simply Fabrics.
I asked what I should use for interlining and had advice from both Helen and Red Point Tailor that silk organza was the thing. I have heard that before but when I enquired as to the price (at McCullogh and Wallis) I nearly fell over. I bought half a yard and have been using it as a pressing cloth.
Because I was using wool rather than the linen suggested for the Overblouse I decided to skip the organza interlining. Instead I used some nice green Habotai silk as underling. I did consider simply lining the overblouse, but as it is worn over a lined camisole I thought that would be like wearing belt and braces, and then another belt. So here was my chance to try underlining (ie using the fashion fabric and the lining fabric as one throughout the construction).
The interlining is attached on the backside by basting along the sewing lines. It makes making up fairly easy. The neckband was applied, and I inserted the zip not once but twice….
Initially I inserting (by hand) a regular zip and only at the end realising I should have used a separating zip. When I checked the pattern envelope I realised it has specified a 12″ separating zip. I rushed into McCullogh and Wallis and got the 12″one (in neutral beige) , realised it was too short (I had lengthened the top by one and a half inches) so I bought a 14″ one from Sharon on Clitheroe market, and re-inserted it. It needs to have hooks and eyes attached to the neck-band.
I made the button-hole as specified but it is too large and ugly. I stuck with it rather than redo it, but it dwarfs the button I have chosen. I think perhaps a bigger button as suggested on the pattern (1″) would be better.
Now I can move on to the jacket.